Monday, March 10, 2014

Blog Post #4 - My Project Idea

3/7/2014

I have been thinking about how to effectively apply the techniques and methods I have learned in our PLS seminars to my teaching of science courses. It is not very straightforward for me because science teaching is not quite the same as humanities teaching. For me, most techniques or apps/tools we use to do text analysis cannot be organically incorporated into my science teaching.

I did some"out of the box" thinking and finally came up with a very good idea: Instead of using the text analysis and other tools which works better for humanities and less appropriate for sciences, especially physics/astronomy teaching, I am going to construct a pool of tools/apps for physics and astronomy teaching and post the links on my ePortfoio or Blackboard. These links will be open to all my students and colleagues, especially adjunct faculty members,who usually are not expected to devote as much time to pedagogy research as we full-time faculty are.


6 comments:

  1. Interesting. I can't wait to see what tools for science/physics you will employ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Glenn. I know some interesting apps, videos for both physics and Astronomy. I am personally eager to see what I can find for Astronomy because we do not have equipments to observe the universe. If apps and videos can do the demonstrating jobs for us, it would be great for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a mini-portal for these DH teaching resources. I will respond with some detailed feedback (in print) when the seminar meets next on 3/14.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will be a neat collection to have available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! What kind of tool /software are you going to use in your Physics class? We could use the same tool to teach our engineering classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great! Let me know if you'd like to see if the Library could purchase access to any online tools/databases that look worth it.

    ReplyDelete